The early beginnings of a church school in Kirkland began when the doors first opened in the fall of 1945. In the old Grange Hall on 116th street, Mrs. LaGride taught 11 students that year. The following year the school was moved to the attic/mother’s room of the old church. Over the next few years the little school had numerous teachers, but by 1951 enrollment was up to 21 students and the school had two full time teachers.
In 1953, the school began a two-year negotiation process with the Department of Heath, Education and Welfare to secure land for a new school in the Stewart Heights Housing Development. Finally, after working with numerous governmental agencies and securing the help of Representative Tom Pelly and Senator “Scoop” Jackson, the school was awarded an old commercial building and 4 ½ acres of land for $3,800.00. The church constituency immediately went to work on a remodeling project of the building and by the fall of 1957, it was ready for occupancy. The 9th and 10th grades were added at this time and the enrollment numbered about 70 students.
Work continued on the central and northern parts of the building and by 1961 the entire building was being utilized by the school. The concrete structure that would include additional classrooms and the gymnasium was begun in November of 1970, with the classroom section being occupied in 1974 and the gymnasium soon after.
Twenty years passed and in the summer of 1994, a grassroots movement of parents set out to explore the possibility of creating a day academy for Seattle and the surrounding areas. After two years of gathering information, compiling data, creating reports, endless prayer and countless meetings with Washington Conference leaders, the board members from 25 churches, and our own Day Academy Committee, the goal was realized. The Washington Conference Board of Education voted 17-1 to approve the formation of the new day academy.
Cypress Seventh-day Adventist School, Kirkland Seventh-day Adventist School, and the Sky Valley Seventh-day Adventist School combined their 9th and 10th grade programs to create Puget Sound Adventist Academy with 21 churches in and around the Seattle metropolitan area, voting to become charter constituent members of the new school.
In the fall of 1996, Puget Sound Adventist Academy (PSAA) opened its doors with 9th, 10th, and 11th grades under the accreditation umbrella of our sister school, Auburn Adventist Academy. During that same year, the school underwent its own accreditation review and received conditional status for three years. In the fall of 1997, 12th grade was added and in May of 1998, the school graduated its first class of 15 seniors. During the 1999-2000 school year, PSAA underwent a full self-study accreditation and received the maximum four-year term of accreditation.
We are assured of God’s blessing as we look forward to the challenges and opportunities of educating young people for His service in the years to come, as has been our focus from the beginning.